Welcome to my blog, it's all things Team Fein all the time!

Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Today at Casa de Fein

Daddy is on a business trip to New York City so mom is 100% devoted to Harrison until he returns and in trying to have some free spirited play time before dinner he instructed me to do the following... here is a pseudo translation of what he said:

HJ: can we [sword] fight?
Mom: sure!
HJ: I am Pochahontas, you are Captain Hook.
Mom: (in my best Hook voice acting scared of Pochahontas' sword) SAVE ME MR. SMEE! SMEEEE! 
HJ: Winston is Smee.
Mom: Winston is Smee?
HJ: Yeah. Winston is Smee. And this (points at plush pony) is the crocodile.

A little later mid fight he tells me that he is now Peter Pan and I am Mr. Smee and we are fighting some imaginary Captain Hook I can't see. I think the pony is still the crocodile in this scenario.

It's fun to see his imagination blossom. In the past few months he has told us that monsters, Captain Hook, Bad Guys and the Big Bad Wolf are in the house and we would tell him that is not true and not to worry. I did a little reading the other night and the book said it hurts their self esteem to dismiss a real concern so now our conversations sound like this:

HJ: Mom, Bad Guys are coming
Mom: Where are they?
HJ: Outside, they're coming
Mom: Ok, but there is a force field around the house so they can't get in. Also the Big Bad Wolf is out there and he eats the bad guys.
HJ: Yeah, and there's a dragon too!
Mom: Yes, and the dragon eats the Big Bad Wolf so you see, we are safe
HJ: Uh-huh!
Mom: besides, if bad guys got in, Winston would eat them. And Mommy & Daddy aren't afraid of Bad guys so I would tell them to leave.

Oddly enough, this type of calm rationalization seems to work on him. For now at least.

3 comments:

. said...

As always...I love the updates! He has such a great imagination...and a fabulous mom who helps inspire it!

Dreslaine said...

As long as he thinks Cap't Jack Sparrow will save him, it's all okay.

Raina said...

Ha! I he hasn't seen Cap't Jack yet, but he saw Johnny Depp on the cover of Vanity Fair and wanted to know who his name was... I told him he will see him on the pirate ride in Disney World!