Tuesday evening we battled pouring rain and heavy traffic and made it to our gate just as they started boarding. All was well for the next week as we enjoyed sunshine, 70 degree weather and lots of family fun. I must be getting lazy though becuase I neglected to take many photos.
Thanksgiving at Po Po's house was delicious and we dutifully overate to heart's content. Even Harrison had third helpings of turkey and multiple servings of cranberry sauce (a new favorite). This year we tried out a recipe for blueberry cranberry sauce - I mention it becuase it was fantastic and I think I will want it every year here on out. So let it be known, 2011 was the year the tradition originated!
Growing up in Las Vegas, I was always interested in all the bright neon signs, especially the ones that moved, such as Vegas Vick and his thumb beckoning you to come in and gamble. Las Vegas recently opened up a park where you can enjoy a guided tour of the boneyard, full of old neon signs from the earliest days of the town, so we went for a visit. Harrison was pretty bored but mom enjoyed it (while dad sacrificed any chance of watching the Huskies play, and beat, the Cougars in the Apple Cup - thanks dad).
The giant skull was from the Treasure Island when it was still pirate themed and family friendly.
The "R" from the Sahara Casino which was right around the corner from my house growing up.
The stars from the Stardust casino which was the last place my grandfather worked. I have memories of going to grandpa's office, he would give us a deck of cards and he would take our whole family to the rib restaurant where we got to eat for free. Evidently this was the biggest sign of it's kind when it was built.
As soon as we got to grandpa's house, Harrison found himself among several large bags and uncle Jon Jon threw him and his hair immediately began to stand on end!
Traveling on the freeway parallel to the Strip, Harrison found one place to be more fascinating than any other... the giant Excalibur castle of course! He begged us saying, "I want to go there!" and the third time we passed it we promised we would go that evening. Harrison was pleased with the experience, which included a random 5 foot tall Spongebob Squarepants figure he could hug.The best part of the trip was Harrison and his cousin Argenta being able to play together and become friends. The last time they met she was only 9 months old but she is now almost two years old so they played together a lot each day. He calls her 'Genta and gave her lots of hugs and kisses throughout their time together. One day I walked into the living room to find the two of them, alone, sitting side by side on the couch, watching a movie on the iPad (which Harrison can operate by himself). He got to be the big guy and set an example for her (both good and bad), urging her to use the potty more and getting her to wear socks becuase he was wearing socks. She is the sweetest little girl, we all love her so much!
Jon had a great idea to take a short drive and enjoy a leisurely hike in the Valley of Fire. I hadn't been there since I was probably ten and we all agreed it was beautiful, even better than Red Rocks. The walk was extra leisurely with Harrison climbing the boulders ("I'm climbing mountains mama!") and laying belly down on the path to feel the soft red sand on his skin.
Remember the post about Harrison at Halloween in the zoo roaring at the lions? Well, he climbed up on a small boulder and took it upon himself to roar/scream at the top of his lungs several times over. Funny kid.
The last activity we were able to enjoy as a family before we started heading home was a dinner at Buca di Beppo's where we got talked into letting them take a "free photo" of all of us which surprisingly turned out so well grandpa bought a copy. And thank goodness as it the only photo I have with more than 3 people in it! The pretty blonde in the front middle is a friend of Jon's from MIT who stayed with us for three days, Carline was a lot of fun to have and so sweet with the kids.
While we enjoyed our busy visit, we were ready to go home by day seven. Harrison had experienced a week of toddler debauchery, awake until 10:30 most nights, up at 6:30, playing with Argenta and watching movies on the iPad much more than we would normally let him get away with. Harrison misses "my whole family" but we talk about everyone and he can point out where everyone lives on his map of the U.S. Hope to see everyone again soon!















2 comments:
I didn't know about the new place with old signs. That would be totally awesome!!! My kiddos would lurve it!!! I haven't been to vegas in ages. You will have to tell me where that place is.
What a lovely post! I got to see what you all did when you were not with me.
Post a Comment