Wall Decal: I searched Etsy after seeing similar ones on Pinterest and found this one with a brown tree and used it to inspire the decor of the room. I meant to paint the walls a darker gray and with the dark furniture, I had the vendor change the tree to white. I think it still looks good.
Elephant Artwork: Made with Mod Podge, magazine photos and orange paint
Changing Pad Cover: Alas this was one of the first fabrics I bought and I didn't realize the green was so neon; other than the color it turned out great (I made two!)
Bumper Pad: actually it's not a bumper pad since those are not recommended, but a mesh cover. This used to be Harrison's (bought after he stuck a leg out the crib one night, fell asleep and woke up screaming in pain!); it used to have a white satin-like trim. I picked out all the stitching, learned how to and made orange bias tape and replaced the trim.
Bed Skirt: Although I didn't find any great tutorials, several women mentioned they had made adjustable bed skirts by making three separate panels with ties that can be tied further up the crib springs as you lower the mattress as baby gets bigger. This was my first sewing project for the room and it turned out perfect.
Mobile: Probably my shining moment in terms of the most complicated thing I did without a tutorial. A friend gave me the original bear mobile (below) and after seeing some cute but crazy expensive mobiles online, I decided I could so it myself. So I stripped it down to just the plastic parts and sewed a new green arm cover, tenting and made the ornaments with felt and embroidery thread. It was a lot of hours but I did most of it in front of the tv.
Light Switch Cover: Decoupaged scrapbook paper, so easy and looks great! I covered the outlets too and also did some Cat in the Hat ones for the kids bathroom.
T is for Tucker Wall Decal: another find on etsy as I trolled through the decal section
Green Chevron Throw Pillow: I made this myself without a tutorial. Well, actually I used this tutorial to learn to make the gray piping (I also made tiny orange piping for the mobile). I also read several tutorials on how to install an invisible zipper which I deemed all too difficult for an inpatient woman 32 weeks pregnant so I rigged it to work and I don't think it will break...
Moby-type Wrap: I did not have a Moby carrier with Harrison but once I found how easy and cheap they were to make I decided, why not? And with one cut of fabric you can actually make two so if I use it a lot I have a back up and if not one of my several pregnant friends may find one in a gift bag sometime soon.
2 comments:
I am one proud mom of how well all your work have turned out! :-)
You continue to impress me! Maybe one day your creative homemaking skills will rub off on me, but for now it's fun to hear about all the cool things you have done!!! :)
Post a Comment