Welcome to my blog, it's all things Team Fein all the time!

Saturday, May 26, 2012

Po Po's visit

Thank you to our dearest Po Po who spent a week away from her husband and 17 year old to help us care for Harrison. When we scheduled the surgery, I didn't realize that her flight to Seattle on Sunday was on Mother's Day and that her birthday was on Thursday of that same week. We were happy to have her here, especially as Harrison's life in casts wasn't too hard and we were able to have relaxing fun together.

Among other things, we visited the zoo, attended the University District Street Fair and spent a morning at Jump Planet. When we arrived at 9:30am there were maybe five other kids in a giant warehouse of inflatable slides and jump houses so we pretty much had the run of the place. Po Po was a great sport and every time Harrison shouted, "Come On, Po Po!" she would climb up the ladders to the top of the slides and they would race down while pregnant mom laughed and looked on.

For her birthday, we took Po Po out for a birthday brunch at the Maltby Cafe as the night before we had watched a Food Network show which included a gigantic cinnamon roll and we both started drooling (boy, am I an enabler).


We drove a mile down the rode to Flower World to pick up some herbs to plant on the deck and then strolled in gardens and farm area. A peacock spread his tail feathers as Harrison approached which Po Po says is good luck.

On Saturday we stir fried together, which we never get to do. Harrison took a pretty good photo but was across the room so it came out grainy and looked best in B&W. By the way Po Po is making brownies... we ate baked goods every day she was here!
When she departed the following Sunday, I immediately went to book club after taking her to the airport. Our book involved a circus and weeks ahead of time I had decided to build a carousel which would hold mini caramel apples. I had the thing half built before she arrived but she helped me figure out how to get the tented topping on and look pretty which took a couple hours Saturday night. Then on Sunday morning, I thought I would quickly make these mini caramel apples but the caramel kept sliding off and we spent another hour or more trying out probably six different methods until we finally decided to melt chocolate, dip the apples and the drizzle them with caramel. In the end it turned out more awesome than this picture could do it justice. Needless to say, I miss my mommy, we had so much fun together despite the trauma of Harrison's surgery!


2 comments:

Dreslaine said...

What a special bond you have with your mother!

Winnie said...

I had such a great time and now I miss you all!