Welcome to my blog, it's all things Team Fein all the time!

Monday, August 6, 2012

It's gonna be a good day when...

Often I can tell if a day will be good or bad depending on how Harrison acts the first 30 minutes of the day.

For example, the other day he came in sweetly but five minutes later he was whining and kicking his feet about something and the whole day "went to pot" (as grandpa would say), filled with  timeouts, screaming, yelling and tears. That day we went to Target and I had agreed to buy some small Batman items to take home for him to earn through helping with laundry. Unfortunetly he made some bad choices and I told him that I would not buy them and he immediately started whining, then screaming and laying on the floor inside Target so I dragged him out front, sat on a bench and let him wail on the ground until we could talk about things. I took a little video, which does not at all do justice to the scale of the tantrum, but it's fun nonetheless.



Luckily this morning things were on the other extreme, in fact we had the best day in terms of his behavior that we have had in awhile. When he wakes up in the morning, he has a nightlight that turns from a moon into the sun at 7:30am which tells him it is time to get out of bed. This used to work wonderfully until he got to be a smart 3 year old and would come in and try to wake us up anyway. So this morning he comes in around 6:45am and dad asks him if the sun is up and since the answer was no, he needed to go back to bed. He told us he needed to go potty so I told him to go ahead and then go back into his room.

Michael and I fell back asleep and we woke up maybe 15 minutes later when I popped out of bed to use the  loo myself, when I immediately noticed that his moon nightlight was plugged into the wall opposite my bed. The two of us looked at it, smiled, then Michael rolled back to sleep while I stepped into the bathroom. When I came out and walked back to my side of the bed, I saw (which I had evidently failed to notice exiting the bed) that Harrison had set up his pillow, laid a blanket on the ground like a sheet then laid another blanket over that to make a bed. There were also a couple of books on the ground. I woke Michael so he could witness this act of extreme cuteness, we smiled and then Harrison came in with a suitcase full of books in tow! We asked him what he was doing and he said he wanted to go night night next to us.




The rest of the day was marvelous, he had a great attitude, didn't need any time outs, completely bathed himself without any help from me at all, played and shared with multiple friends, took his nap, was awesome at swimming and was overall sweet and nice, telling me many times how much he loves me. Why can't every day be like today?!

To cap the day off, dad was on the deck watering the flowers when he found a frog which he and Harrison caught in our special animal catching jar we keep handy. After adding some water, a leaf and stick, we spent some time checking it out then dad and Harrison released him into the park across the street.

1 comment:

Winnie said...

Don't you think that if he hadn't acted up from time to time, you might not have appreciated it as much when he was sweet and cute?..... :-)