Welcome to my blog, it's all things Team Fein all the time!

Tuesday, May 19, 2009

First Night In His Bedroom

We had been putting off the transition to Harrison sleeping in his bedroom for several reasons but with me going back to work in less than 2 weeks, we needed to make this happen so we can hopefully sleep better at night. Part of this process was getting his room ready. Since Harrison was born early, his bedroom wasn't completed (at least it wasn't up to my standards) so we have been working on making it feel more "homey" the past week or so. We added the picture, book case, a set of hooks, a star light and a mirror is going over his dresser/changing table so he can entertain himself. Small changes really but they did a lot for the overall ambiance.


Pottery Barn Kids had this map printed on canvas for $99 which I loved but would not pay for. While there, I found the same map in a puzzle so we bought it, glued it together with Modge Podge and glued it on top of a canvas. The project cost less than $30 and is totally cooler!

So last night we began our new ritual. At 8:30pm we turn off all unnecessary lights and dim the rest. Harrison gets a bath and then the three of us go to his bedroom to dress him in his pj's while listening to soothing music. He drinks his bed time bottle in daddy's arms while mommy sits in front and reads a couple of books. Then the lights go off and he is rocked to sleep in mommy's arms and then into the crib for the night. This all went off well last night. He woke up around 1am (this is normal) at which point I fed him and he drifted off to sleep again. He woke again at 5am (as expected) ate again and then we rewarded him (us!) by going back to sleep in our bed, all cuddled up. Mom was able to stay sane through this process partially with the fancy new baby monitor which has a video camera and small screen with "night vision" so I can see him. When I put him down at 1am, I watched him on the monitor... he actually woke up and was kicking around and making a little noise. Normally I would have gone in and picked him up again but I nervously waited it out and within 10 minutes he had put himself back to sleep again. Hooray!

All said, we are very pleased with the transition and Harrison seems to be taking well to it too.

2 comments:

. said...

Congrats - Success! Sounds like a great schedule you are starting, and I LOVE the Star light!

Winnie said...

Horray from PO PO !!