Welcome to my blog, it's all things Team Fein all the time!

Thursday, December 18, 2008

Snow Everywhere!

Yesterday (Wednesday) I woke up early to check on "Winter Storm '08" (duh, duh , dummmm...) and found there was no snow on the ground and the news channels said there was not any snow in the Seattle area (it was all further north or south). Driving to work, the news reported that the Kirkland and Bellevue school districts would be closed... while i was driving through Kirkland and Bellevue with no snow in sight. Most all my coworkers made it to work and we all laughed at the weatherman and scoffed at how they were making a mountain out of a mole hill. Well, i woke up this morning to 3 inches of snow and big, fat flakes falling. I was unable to get off of the hill we live on so it was a "snow day" for our family as Mike worked from home. My house is now pretty clean and nearly every piece of fabric in the house has been washed, dried and folded and I started on a baby quilt. Very productive.


After I called work, I got back into bed with Mike and Winston and while they snoozed i watched the flakes fall past the bedroom window. The house was completely silent... the furnace was between cycles, the refridgerator was not humming, people were still inside at 7am... it was so peaceful and it made me think that this was one of those perfect moments in life. Absolutely beautiful to all my senses. And then I thought about how this moment may not happen again for a really long time with a baby who does not understand snooze buttons or snow days. And so I decided to stay in bed for a couple more hours cuddled up with the family. It was wonderful.


Now, Seattle does not have many snow events, maybe just 1 a year or 1 every other year but snow isn't that much of a novelty, especially becuase you can hit a ski slope about 60 minutes from town. Oddly enough, my sister Chyna called me this morning from Las Vegas and said "IT'S SNOWING! AGAIN!" and that the schools in LV had closed today. In my 18 years living in that town, i only recall it snowing twice and I didn't even know what a snow day was. I just flipped on the tv and the national news is showing pictures of The Strip with palm trees covered in snow. Weird. It's like hell freezing over. Now THAT is a novelty and Chyna can tell her kids about the "Winter Storm '08."
It does look like we will be in for bad weather and driving for the next several days but it will warm up before Christmas so no White Christmas this year. Mike played with Winston a little bit out side... Winston LOVES snow and ice and so he was in heaven today.


2 comments:

dale said...

Yes WE Have SNOW, But today it's all gone, I which you were down here.So I could play in the S N o w ....

terramisu said...

Wow! A snow dy in Vegas- Now I really HAVE seen everything!