Today, Harrison finally "had a poopy in the potty"! Well, sort of. I recognized his tell tale signs of needing to go (he likes to go hide in a corner) so I forced him upstairs with as much enthusiasm as I could muster at 8am. Once on the potty, he kept getting up because he just doesn't know how to go sitting down, so I would cheerily grab his hand and lead him back whilst reading him a book.
The fourth time he got up, I was in the middle of a sentence and during that one extra second it took me to look up from reading he had "let one go" on the floor, and when I maneuvered him back over to the potty he stepped in the mess a bit, which really grossed him out. Since his body was already in "release mode" we did manage to get the last part of the procession squarely inside the potty. As he was "ewww-ing" and flapping his arms in disgust at the poop on the floor, on his foot and smeared on the potty seat, I hooted and hollered and generally made a party atmosphere to reinforce what just happened was, in fact, great!
We had told him for weeks that he can have one M&M for going pee but he gets a whole (small) jar of them if he could poop, so as soon as he was cleaned up he got that much coveted jar of M&Ms. He was seriously so happy and proud of himself, you could see it in his eyes! Daddy had just left the house and arrived at work so when we called to tell him the good news, he shared his enthusiasm in hushed, appropriate, work-related tones as best as he could.
Our next task was to take Winston for a walk which Harrison was happy to do, as long as he got to bring his prize with him in the stroller. Since I push him along, I can't really see his face although I could see he finished all of the candy. On our way home we stopped at a park to let the kid out and play while mom and dog rest and we were immediately approached by a woman with her one year old puppy. She was a bit of a Chatty Cathy, sweet, but kept me occupied while Harrison climbed the slide. She said, "my son fell off that and broke his arm when he was three" and then we talked about that a bit while I just let Harrison play on the guilty ladder and slide. Then Harrison came over and I see that he has chocolate smears all around his face. At 9am. Chatty Cathy was a nice lady, but if I were her, I probably would have gotten really judgy right about then. Who let's their kid eat chocolate first thing in the morning and play on a death trap? This mom, that's who!
1 comment:
You are wonderful mom!
Post a Comment